Tax Account is an information and payment system that keeps track of taxpayer’s self-initiated taxes. The Finnish Tax Administration is the operator of Tax Account. Tax Accounts are taxpayer-specific.
The entries in the Tax Account cover the amounts of tax that the taxpayer has reported in his Periodic tax return form, and also the incoming payments arriving to the Tax Account. When making payments it is important to use the taxpayer-specific reference number. The entries in the Tax Account also include any debited taxes on the initiative of the Tax Administration, any refunds of taxes, and any accruals of interest.
Tax types not covered by Tax Account are income tax, real estate tax, inheritance tax, forestry fees and transfer tax.
This site contains a description of Tax Account, and important instructions for use.
Tax Account taxes
Tax Account covers all taxes of the un-prompted, self-initiated type, with the exception of transfer tax (for selling or buying real property and buildings) and self-initiated supplementary payments of payroll withholding taxes. Use Periodic tax return form to report the taxes payable.
List of Tax Account tax types:
- Employer’s contributions (withholding tax from wages, tax at source from nonresident wages, social security contribution)
- Lottery tax
- Tax on insurance premiums
- Withholding on purchase price for timber (buyer withholds this tax)
- Withholding on amount paid to limited companies, cooperatives and other corporate bodies
- Withholding on interest income and investment-fund shares
- Withholding on dividend income and return on cooperative capital
- Tax at source on dividend income (for nonresidents)
- Tax at source on interest and royalties(for nonresidents)
- Tax at source on interest income (for Finnish tax residents).
Who are the taxpayers using Tax Account?
Any taxpayer who submits periodic tax return filings and makes payments of the relevant Tax Account taxes will become a Tax Account holder and user.
Business companies and other corporate bodies submit periodic tax return filings and make payments regularly. Frequency of reporting varies from once a month to once a year. Whoever has employed someone may become a taxpayer of Tax Account taxes.
In the following situations, the Tax Administration will open a Tax Account for a taxpayer:
- Taxpayer has handed in a periodic tax return to declare self-initiated taxes for the first time.
- Taxpayer has paid a tax using a bank reference number with a Tax Account code.
- Tax Administration has made a decision to debit an overdue tax, or to pay out a refund.
Tax account can be used and followed through Tax Account Online (web service).